OUTSOURCING OF CORE FUNCTION AND SEC 197

Home Forums Labour Law Debate OUTSOURCING OF CORE FUNCTION AND SEC 197

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Israelstam
    Spectator

DOES IMMEDIATE OUTSOURCING OF CORE FUNCTION FALL UNDER SECTION 197 OF LRA?
    Company A is registered as a Pty Ltd entity and sets up a head office in Pretoria to provide the administration for a small power stations to be built in Limpopo. Co.A builds the power station which becomes one of its major assets; and, on completion of said construction, immediately contracts company B to manage the operations and maintenance of the power station. Company A does not transfer ownership of any assets to company B. From day 1 co. B manages the power station by recruiting staff from scratch, training them and managing their operation of the entire facility. Co.A continues to provide the administration functions from its Pretoria head office.
    Two years later Company A terminates its contract with co. B and itself takes over the management of the power facility. Is co. A required to take over the employees of co. B in terms of Section 197 of the LRA?

Michael Bagraim
    Keymaster

SECTION 197

In essence, the entire business of Company B is taken over by Company A. The reality is that although this is not a traditional 197, I believe that the Courts would respect the spirit of the law in that the entire function and the management of the operation has moved across to Company A. Company A will be needing to start their operation on exactly the same basis as Company B. My understanding of the spirit of the law is that Company A would have to take over the employees of Company B.

Michael Bagraim

Patrick Deale
    Keymaster

Yes – I agree that A takes over the employees of B in terms of S197. This is because the service which B provides has all the features of a self contained business as a going concern.

Patrick Deale
    Keymaster

Yes – I agree that A takes over the employees of B in terms of S197. This is because the service which B provides has all the features of a self contained business as a going concern.

Patrick Deale
    Keymaster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.